ANSYS Student 18.2 never solves

• Last Post 4 weeks ago
  • Topic Is Solved
noodlesoup posted this 16 October 2017

I am using the student version of ANSYS Mechanical version 18.2.  Every time I open up the program and try to solve a problem the solution bar gets stuck at "Preparing the mathematical model". This happens even when I have a simple beam with a fixed support at one end and a transverse load at the other. What I am saying is that I highly doubt this problem is due to the complexity of the solve. I have even left my computer working on the solution over night (for the simple beam problem I described before) and it is still stuck on the "Preparing the mathematical model" part. 

I have even gone so far as to uninstall and then re download ANSYS three times and it still does not work. 

I have no idea what to do about this and I cant find anything online. If someone can help me figure this out this would be great! I need help! 

Thank you

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pgl posted this 16 October 2017

How odd!

How much RAM and disk space do you have available on your machine? 

Thank you for the response!

I have attached an image with the specs of my computer. It should be more than fast enough to handle the solutions.

I also have over 200GB of space on my hard drive so that should be fine.

any ideas?

Another piece of info:

When I got to solve the solution information is always blank. I attached a screen capture to show this.

mmorg41 posted this 5 weeks ago

I also have this problem. A few days later it started working randomly but today it is stuck on the same thing again. Extremely frustrating. I have seen it work on my computer before so I know my computer can handle it. It must be something that is wrong with the student edition program files. 

vganore posted this 4 weeks ago

Looks like it is related to mpi processes being blocked. Could you please turn off the firewall or go to tools>Solve Process Settings>Advanced>Uncheck "Distribute Solution (if possible)". See if that helps.

mmorg41 posted this 4 weeks ago

That worked for me thanks!

I am glad that it worked finally. Enjoy.

mmorg41 posted this 4 weeks ago

Now fluent keeps failing to startup. Do you think this issue is related?

Not sure. any error it shows? 

Close