SolidWorks integration gone with ANSYS Student 19.0?

• Last Post 3 weeks ago
  • Topic Is Solved
r.reedy posted this 3 weeks ago

Does ANSYS Student support importing geometry from SolidWorks in version 19.0, or do we have to use "neutral format import" now? This is a feature has been available since at least 14.5. 

Problem: Upon attempting to import a .sldprt file made with SolidWorks Student Edition 2016-17 into Workbench I get the attached error.

There is no trace of a SolidWorks file in Program Files\ANSYS Inc\ANSYS Student\v190\aisol\CADIntegration; however, Ansys 14.5 is still listed in my SolidWorks add-ons. I've tried running the CAD Configuration Manager, but it just spits out this text:

"Prerequisites ..... Configure Success

SW  Workbench PlugIn ..... Not Configured"

Attached Files

peteroznewman posted this 3 weeks ago

I have only tested the ANSYS Student license versions 17.2 and 18.2 with SolidWorks 2017.

Neither of these Student versions have a Reader or the Plugin license for SolidWorks.

If ANSYS Student 14.5 was able to read SolidWorks files, that was a bug that has been fixed.

With versions 17.2, you have to Save As Parasolid in SolidWorks, then in DesignModeler, you can Import External Geometry File.

With version 18.2, you can do the same as 17.2 and also if you open SpaceClaim, you can open the SolidWorks file directly. I expect this will work in 19.0 also.

• Liked by
  • Raef.Kobeissi
  • r.reedy
Close