3D Geometry

• Last Post yesterday
  • Topic Is Solved
RajuMath posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi,

I want to draw the following geometry in 3D. How can I do it?

I have drawn the lance and nozzle separately. Now If i want to put the nozzle in three locations, how can I do it? Is it the right way to get the above image?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rwoolhou posted this 2 weeks ago

If the model is symmetrical you may be better off drawing one section and then copying it around to give a full 360 degree model. Remember you're building the fluid part: most people get confused and draw the metal bit.... 

Yes, my one is symmetrical. If i draw half of design (lance with nozzle) and then revolve by 360 then would i get the expected geometry?

rwoolhou posted this 2 weeks ago

No, you may want to create half of one repeat (ie centre plane of one lance) and then mirror that. Then pattern that section round to give the 360 model. Normally I'd try and use symmetry but in this case I think the flow could be more interesting so may need the full domain. 

Do you have any video to make it? It would be very helpful if I get it.

Hi Peter,

I need your help to draw the geometry. It seems difficult to me to do it.

Raju.

FrankD posted this 2 weeks ago

Raju

You already have drawn the geometry -- though it seems that you have done it as separate solids, which is fine.

1) Make sure that your solids that I see above are in different Components (in the Structure Tree)

2) Locate your first blended solid nozzle at the correct angle and position, with respect to the central axis of the lance solid

3) At this point you should have the solid models occupying overlapping 3D space. Make a rotational pattern around the axis to get six of them. (or use the move tool and Ctrl-drag them around 6 times, it doesn't matter)

4) Use the Combine tool to subtract the 6 nozzle solids from the lance component, deleting the leftover bits from the Combine (Cut) operation

5) Or, do all this to half of the model and when you are done Mirror the solid to get the whole

F

• Liked by
  • RajuMath
peteroznewman posted this 2 weeks ago

Raju,

I'm still learning SC, but this gets the shape right. A bit more work to make it to given dimension. I had the freedom of sketching by eye.

SpaceClaim 19.2 document attached.

Regards,
Peter

• Liked by
  • RajuMath

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for the video. I will do everything in Design modular.

I am trying to follow your video. I will let you know about the progress.

Thanks again,

Raju.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your instruction. Yes, I made the lance and nozzle separately but failed to put the nozzle in desired location of lance. I sketched quarter portion of lance using points and then lines and then surface from lines. Then I revolved the sketch by 360 degree. I got the lance. In another workbench window I did the same for nozzle. When I am importing the nozzle in lance geometry, it is being fixed in a location. I can not moving the nozzle. Which is option/tool use to move the nozzle?

Thank you

Raju.

Hi Raju,

Frank's instructions are for SpaceClaim.

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Does your space claim instructions will fit for design modular?

Raju.

Hi Raju,

DesignModeler is a completely different environment for creating geometry than SpaceClaim.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Is it possible to give a guideline video to make my geometry in design modular?

I will be grateful to you, if you do it please.

Raju.

Hi Peter,

I am waiting for your guideline in design modular. I am totally stuck here.

Raju.

Hi Raju,

Here is the DesignModeler 19.2 version. You can play the history from top to bottom of the Outline tree to see how it was constructed.

Peter

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RajuMath

Hi Peter,

I am using Design Modeler 18.2. Attach file is not opening in my version. How can I open the file?

Extremely sorry for the unexpected problems.

Raju.

Hi Raju,

To open the attached file, you have to install ANSYS 19.2.

Either the free Student version or a full Research version.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you. I got the file.

My lance is connected with 5 nozzle and 2.5 symmetry. How can I keep the nozzles like following images?

Hi Raju,

I agree with @rwoolhou that you should keep the full domain and not use symmetry as the flow may be complex and not symmetric.

Were you able to create the full solid geometry with 5 nozzles?

Have you created a solid model of the fluid geometry?

Regards,
Peter

RajuMath posted this 1 weeks ago

Hi Peter,

My whole domain is too large (11 m vs 8 m). So its a challenge to mesh it and simulate multi phase flow. That's why I am planning to simulate half of the body (symmetry).

I have made converter separately which is a solid body and I will define it as fluid.

It is possible to create lance with 5 nozzles (4 copies). But is it possible to keep the nozzles in the following angles where centerline to centerline of nozzle varies at 72 degree(0, 72, 144, 216, 188)?

peteroznewman posted this 1 weeks ago

Hi Raju,

Yes, the DesignModeler part has the number 5 copies in the pattern to give a 6 nozzle design.

Type the number 4 in its place and hit the Generate button and you get a 5 nozzle design:

Regards,
Peter

• Liked by
  • RajuMath

Hi Peter,

Now I am able to make 5 nozzle with lance. But the problem is, when I am doing pattern (4 copies) it showing 5 body. When I am revolving the lance, it is making 1 body automatically and so the Boolean operation is not working. Why it is happening?

Thanks,

Raju.

Raju,

Please create a Workbench Project Archive .wbpz file and use the Attach button on the post above and upload that file.

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Please find the attachment.

Raju

Hi Raju,

You have to set the Revolve8 Operation to Add Frozen, not Add Material.

Then you can do the Boolean.

• Liked by
  • RajuMath
peteroznewman posted this 6 days ago

Please change the Discussion to Solved by marking the post that best answered the original question with the Is Solution link below that post.

• Liked by
  • RajuMath
RajuMath posted this 2 days ago

Hi Peter,

I am still working on my geometry. I will surely marked "Is Solution".

Please see the following picture. If I want to set the nozzle like in the image, I need to deduct the inner part of nozzle (which remains inside the lance -red marked portion). How can I do it?

Thanks,

Raju.

peteroznewman posted this 2 days ago

Hi Raju,

The sketch above is a bit too simplified.  I don't understand what you want.

Are you trying to show a nozzle that protrudes into the airspace inside the lance body?

Each nozzle has a hollow core, it is a pipe, you are not showing that detail.

The lance body has a wall thickness, you are not showing that detail.

Can you sketch a detailed cross-section that shows the material wall thickness of all the parts?

Don't you ultimately want the air inside to mesh for Fluent, not the solid material of the parts?

Regards, Peter

• Liked by
  • RajuMath
RajuMath posted this 2 days ago

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I am considering different geometry (lance with nozzle) to flow air in a liquid pool. The lance with nozzle that we have already drawn is perfect and OK.

Now, I am drawing another geometry considering only the inner part of lance and nozzles (see the first image). Here, lance and nozzle are considered as solid body(not hollow). I will consider the solid body as fluid during meshing and so fluent will consider the boundary of lance and nozzle as wall (there is no thickness of nozzle and lance wall).

See the cross-section image (2nd image). Now I need to deduct the nozzle which is inside the lance. You can see a little portion of nozzle (the 1st half nozzle of 2nd image) contains in the lance body. I am wanting the geometry where lance ended and nozzle started.

Regards,

Raju.

peteroznewman posted this 2 days ago

If the above image is all air, then you would do a Boolean Unite and pick all the solid bodies, then there will be no interference as shown in the cross section.

Regards, Peter

• Liked by
  • RajuMath
Show More Posts
Close