Acoustic Analysis

• Last Post 17 May 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
Abhi05 posted this 09 May 2018

I need to perform a Radiated Sound Analysis, where in, when a ball strikes a solid body or any object defined with a specific material, hits back and generates a striking sound, can someone guide me through this, if it's possible in Ansys??

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
peteroznewman posted this 09 May 2018

Yes, ANSYS can perform a Radiated Sound Analysis.  

What version of ANSYS are you on, 18.2 or 19.0?

Which license are you using, Student or Research?

ANSYS has  an Acoustics ACT Extension to extend the ease-of-use of doing acoustics models in Workbench.

The problem is that the ACT library is not available to Students.

ANSYS can perform a Modal analysis to show the natural frequencies that the solid body can ring at.

ANSYS can perform a Transient Dynamics analysis to show the time history of the impact of a ball striking the solid body, the rebound, and the subsequent ringing of the structure that generates the sound that lingers for a short time after the noise of the impact has happened.

• Liked by
  • Abhi05
Abhi05 posted this 09 May 2018

I am using Ansys 16.2 full licensed version in a company..

Is it possible here??

peteroznewman posted this 09 May 2018

Log on to the Customer Portal at the ANSYS website.

Click on the Download link and select ANSYS ACT Application Store 16

Once you download the Acoustics ACT that is compatible with ANSYS 16.2, extract the contents of the zip file onto your drive.
Open Workbench, and under Extensions select Install, then navigate to the bin folder that you extracted from the zip file and select the file in there.
Now under Extensions, select Manage and put a check next to Acoustics. That's it you are ready to use Acoustics.

Abhi05 posted this 17 May 2018

The Acoustic ACT cannot be added to the licensed version.

Is it possible to use this extension into Students Free Download version of Ansys-18.2?

peteroznewman posted this 17 May 2018

The Acoustic ACT can be added to a licensed version. Why do you think that it cannot be added?

Students don't have access to the Customer Portal, so they can't get to the ACT download. I don't know if the Student license prevents the ACT from being installed and/or loaded, but you can try it and see if you want, but then you will be stuck with the model size limits which are enforced by the Student license.

Close