ansys-explicit dynamics

• Last Post 09 March 2018
Jagadeesh posted this 08 March 2018

i sent my water tank file  to you sir..please extract files from .rar format and open them with workbench....please help me sir for my project submission...i cannot model a small region sir because bullet should hit the tank from only one side sir....

my goal of simulation is  to extract some engineering data about the failure like deformations and stresses?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

i sent my water tank file  to you sir..please extract files from .zip format and open them with workbench....please help me sir for my project submission...i cannot model a small region sir because bullet should hit the tank from only one side sir....

my goal of simulation is  to extract some engineering data about the failure like deformations and stresses?

Attached Files

i sent my water tank file  to you sir..please extract files from .zip format and open them with workbench....please help me sir for my project submission...i cannot model a small region sir because bullet should hit the tank from only one side sir....

Attached Files

Jagadeesh posted this 09 March 2018

MESH

ANALYSIS SETTINGS

GEOMETRY(TANK DIA=5.7m,height=4m)

peteroznewman posted this 09 March 2018

I see now that you are running ANSYS 15.0, which is an old release. Does your model run?
I am running 18.2.  Is it possible for you to upgrade? I understand this model is too large to run on the Student license.

I gave the bullet an Initial Conditions Velocity and deleted the Velocity boundary condition.
Why did you want the bullet to be rigid? Bullets generally deform when they hit concrete.
I changed the bullet to LEAD from the Explicit Dynamics material library and let it be flexible.
I changed the tank to have 3 elements through the thickness of the tank wall instead of one.
I changed the tank to be CONC-35MPA from the Explicit Dynamics material library.
Why did you set the Reference Energy Cycle to 100? I set it to 0.
I increased the Maximum Energy Error to 100 just so I can see some results.

This model is running now on my 4-core laptop but the Time Inc = 1.108E-13 so it will take 9e9 cycles to get to 1 ms of time. That is way too long. That is why you must rethink your model and reduce the domain to a much smaller piece.

Here is a simulation of compression failure of a concrete cylinder with rebar and the post above is without rebar.
Those simulations were using Explicit Dynamics models and are more for post failure illustration than calculating results.
I assume you are interested in seeing the damage caused by the impact.

Please delete the duplicate posts above.

peteroznewman posted this 09 March 2018

I thought I made a mistake in the direction of velocity but I actually made a mistake only in the magnitude and made it too small. Gravity was turned on.

Another tip, you should change the body interaction from frictionless to frictional.

Close