Checking stabilization energy much less than 10% strain energy in buckling analysis - meaning

• Last Post 11 November 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
Gennaro posted this 09 November 2019

Hello everyone,

in the slides of Ansys (attached) I read that, after the simulation, I have to check if the energy dissipation ratio (EDR) is greater than the EDR initially specified (slide 39).

How can I do that? In the slide 43 the suggested check is:

max stabilization energy << 10% strain energy

This means that the strain energy coincides with the potential energy mentioned in the slide 39:

EDR = (stabilization work) / (potential energy)

?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
peteroznewman posted this 09 November 2019

Does it clarify things if you know the following equality?

Potential Energy = Strain Energy

I think the slides introduced unnecessary terminology when they added potential energy. It would be clearer if the slides stayed with strain energy.

EDR = Stabilization Energy / Strain Energy.

Gennaro posted this 10 November 2019

Hello Peter,

I know the equality (I found it in many books; e. g. "The Finite Element Method and Applications in Engineering Using ANSYS® - Erdogan Madenci, Ibrahim Guven 2nd Ed"):

Maybe your equality is valid in special cases. If you know any paper or book where I can find your equality, give me its name please because I need to explain my sentences to my professor.

Thank you a lot. 

peteroznewman posted this 10 November 2019

Here is the ANSYS definition of Element Potential Energy, which for an elastic analysis is Strain Energy.
There is a separate quantity for Work Done by External Loads.

There is also Kinetic Energy, but for a Statics / Linear Bucking, there is zero velocity.

• Liked by
  • Gennaro
Gennaro posted this 11 November 2019

Hello Peter, thank you for your reply. Can you tell me where you took the above paragraphs please?

Aniket posted this 11 November 2019

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/Secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v195/ans_thry/thy_tool16.html

• Liked by
  • Gennaro

Hi Aniket, I am not able to open your first link. Can you tell me what is it please? If you write the key word you inserted in the help, I can find it.

peteroznewman posted this 11 November 2019

If you are using ANSYS 2019 R3, then do this.

1. From ANSYS Workbench, use the menu Help > ANSYS Workbench Help.  A browser window will open.

2. In the post that has a link to the ANSYS Online Help, Right Mouse Button on the link and select Copy Link Address,

3. Go to the browser window that opened in step 1 and Paste in the address bar and you get to the required page.

• Liked by
  • Gennaro

Perfect step by step solution. Thank you very much.

Close