Condensation of water vapor from air

• Last Post 15 April 2020
chand101 posted this 07 April 2020

Hello all

I am trying to simulate the condensation of water vapor from the air using eulerian mixture and condensation model . Below is screenshot of the domain and physics I have chosen

I dont understand why RH% determined by fluent is greater than 100%. Have i put in some absurd values anywhere here?

B.Cs

Inlet: Air with 80% RH, velcotiy = 1m/s

Volume fractions of water: 0.0315 based on calculated mass fraction of water vapor for 80% RH using RH formula

Outlet: Gauge pressure: 0 Pa

Backflow volume fraction of water vapor: 0

Walls of tube: 283K

Side walls: adiabatic

Multiphysics interaction

Materials defined - one phase is mixture of air and water vapor .other phase is water in liquid only 

Condensation evaporation model setting

Results

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
abenhadj posted this 07 April 2020

the phase change model is wrong. You require partial pressure or concentration driven or you adjust the saturation temperature so that it matches rh equal to 100%

Best regards, Amine

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. I forgot to mention in above model, I also specified mass fraction of water vapor at inlet based on required RH%. Did you mean this by phase change models is incorrect or should i choose a different multiphase model ? 

I changed temperature during initialization to achieve required RH%. Is this correct?

I mean the phase change: either you code your phase change, or you adjust temperature to match RH = 100 in each cell (UDF) or use species mass transfer apporach. REad the manual about that.

Best regards, Amine

So do you mean to say that I need to create the condensation such that both materials are a species material? Also i just read the manual on this. They prescribe saturation temperature of 373K. Since this is evaporation saturation temperature and there is no evaporation in my domain, I changed my sat temp to 283K . Is this the mistake you are talking about? 

The saturation temperature is not constant. water vapor will condense or evaporate whenver RH=1 is hitten and you need to understand what does RH mean.

Best regards, Amine

I understand what you are saying. There is a dew point temperature that is dependent on vapor saturation pressure which depends on RH. How do i define RH as an input in UDF when fluent calculates the value as output ? Also I have no idea how to use local mesh values to compute sat temperature. Could you kindly guide me on this?

Yes. You can use DPM model to model condensation there is an example in the customization manual. The UDFs examples are helpful (how to calculate RH) even for doing Eulerian run. Actually phase change should occur when RH =1. At that level partial pressure of water should be equal to vapor pressure. From that you deduce the temperature via inverse Antoine.

Best regards, Amine

Can you send me the link to this manual where example UDFs and  DPM model example are present ?I searched every where in the internet regarding this and Im not able to find any useful info 

rwoolhou posted this 08 April 2020

Click on Help, you're looking for the Fluent Customization Manual. 

abenhadj posted this 08 April 2020

How to access the ANSYS Online Help

Best regards, Amine

chand101 posted this 09 April 2020

Hey The Link doesn't work for me. Looks like it's broken To modify  saturation temperature as function of vapor pressure, could I use the same physics I showed above but specify the saturation temperature in Lee model as function of vapor pressure using two UDF functions, one to calculate for vapor pressure and other to calculate for saturation temperature as function of vapor pressure? Will this be correct approach instead of using DPM ?

abenhadj posted this 09 April 2020

yes it might work. As you will need to do that anyway you can define your own RH based mass transfer using mass transfer udfs.

Best regards, Amine

chand101 posted this 09 April 2020

Hello Amine 

Ok. Thanks for letting me know

It is possible to do a filtration simulation in fluent for mixture of air and water vapor where I want the air to stay on one part of thin membrane but vapor alone passes through the membrane? Do you have any tutorial for this ? 

chand101 posted this 14 April 2020

Hi. 

Did you mean evaporating cooling liquid spray tutorial in customization manual ? Where can i find examples of defining udf ? i cant find anything there. They just ask to upload a precompiled UDF file . 

abenhadj posted this 15 April 2020

Udf manual does contain a detailed example for modeling condensation search after dpm switch or law there.

Best regards, Amine

Close