coupling

• Last Post 19 December 2018
anuce52 posted this 12 December 2018

I want to model water tanks on high rise buildings. The sloshing water pressure will reduce the building vibration. I am done with the high rise building in TRANSIENT STRUCTURAL. Now, how to model the water inside the tank?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
anuce52 posted this 19 December 2018

@rwoolhou

Sir, videos are available. In those videos, all the cases, structure is vibrating inside the fluid. Mine is different. Liquid is oscillating inside the tank. Can you please help how to update UDF at each time step?

rwoolhou posted this 18 December 2018

OK, the VOF model is the correct approach, and there are several tutorials & YouTube videos covering this. System coupling should solve the data transfer and position updates to ensure the CFD moves to generate the sloshing effects. 

anuce52 posted this 18 December 2018

@rwoolhou, thanks for your reply sir. Yeah, the sloshing force is needed to fed back to the building. I am mentioning the steps.

1. Water tank is placed on the top floor of the building.

2. The building is subjected to earthquake load. (Time vs Acceleration data)

3. At each time step I can get top floor acceleration/displacement.

4. Water inside the tank will be modelled in fluent (VOF method). The top floor acceleration will act as input force to the water. (momentum source)

5. Lastly that sloshing force will be coupled in transient structural to determine the top floor acceleration for the next time step.

Now can you help me?

peteroznewman posted this 12 December 2018

@rwoolhou, I expect the answer to the second question is yes, it will be a two-way FSI, because the water force will reduce the building vibration.

rwoolhou posted this 12 December 2018

The CFD codes will allow you to model the free surface flow. How much displacement are you expecting, and do you need to feed the sloshing forces back into the building? 

Close