Eddy effects in Ansys 19 transient electric solution type

• Last Post 28 June 2018
Timo posted this 26 June 2018

Hi,

I am using Ansys 19 to simulate the Voltage drop over a cylindrical specimen that is excited by alternating current. I have to respect the skin effect but in the transient electric solution type I don't find the right button to enable eddy effects. Does anybody has an idea how to enable eddy effects in the electric transient solution type of Ansys Maxwell 3D Release 19?

Best regards and many thanks in advance!

Timo

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mgardner posted this 26 June 2018

To enable eddy effects, you have to go to Excitations -> Set Eddy Effects.  If there is no checkbox for the object you want to enable eddy effects in, make sure that its material has a conductivity defined that is greater than the material threshold for determining whether an object is an insulator or a conductor (Design Settings -> Material Thresholds -> Insulator/Conductor).

mchristi posted this 26 June 2018

The Maxwell 3D Electric Transient Solver solves for electric fields, not magnetic fields.  Therefore, eddy effects are not relevant.  Please reference online help topic: "Electric Transient Solver" for the equations which are solved.  In the Maxwell 3D Magnetic Transient solver, you can perform a line integral: V = J/sigma dot dL to determine voltage drop between the ends of any line which resides in a conducting object.

Timo posted this 28 June 2018

Thank you for your support!

I already tried the method to calculate the voltage drop along a conductive path. In my specific implementation there is an inhomogeneous electric field because of eddy current effects. I want to know the voltage drop from the bottom face of a cylinder to the top face of this cylinder and this inhomogeneous field makes it impossible to just calculate the voltage drop along a conductive path. Because every different path gives a different voltage drop. In my opinion I have to integrate over the whole volume of the cylinder and not just along one path. What do you think of theese thoughts?

Best regards

Close