Element type

• Last Post 13 December 2018
Mbakwa posted this 11 December 2018

Hi,

I am currently working on a model with just three solid elements. ANSYS student 2019 automatically assigns SOLID186 of which I doing a coupled  structural-thermal analysis and need to use SOLID226. So far, I have used the following commands to change the element and when I observe the solution file, I see that the degrees of freedom for heat have been introduced but the element types remain SOLID186. Please help me with a way I could change this in the simulation.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SandeepMedikonda posted this 11 December 2018

Hello Mbakwa,

It is not clear what commands you have used? But once you have selected the the part or using command snippets under the geometry of interest, you can use the ET command. Please see here.

Regards,
Sandeep
Guidelines on the Student Community

peteroznewman posted this 12 December 2018

@Sandeep, I tried inserting this command snippet under the solid in the Geometry tree.

ET,matid,SOLID226

I also made sure to have the mesh set to quadratic elements. But when I wrote out the input.dat file, it did not use that element type.

SandeepMedikonda posted this 12 December 2018

Peter, the only reason I can think of is the license.

Can you try a different license if you have one?

Typically this should work but I would have to look into the ds.dat or solve.out to see what's going on. I will test this it as well.

Regards,
Sandeep

• Liked by
  • desouzadacosta
desouzadacosta posted this 12 December 2018

Hey Guys

please see my post within structural . https://studentcommunity.ansys.com/thread/apdl-script-within-structural-workbench/ My best shot is they are sort of related.

best

alex

peteroznewman posted this 13 December 2018

@Sandeep,

Sorry, my mistake, at the top of the element creation section in the input.dat file is the native element for a thermal model: a solid90.  I should have looked toward the end of the input.dat file where the command snippet is included and the element type is overwritten by solid226.  It does work after all.

Regards,
Peter

Close