Fluent adjoint solver; Constant area constraint

• Last Post 13 June 2019
HHK1992 posted this 10 June 2019

Hi everyone,

I am studying the shape optimization of NACA 0012 (2D) using fluent adjoint solver. I have already completed the tutorial (2D Cylinder) in the user manual and made a few trial attempts and everything is fine.
Now, I need to do a more practical one and have checked a number of publications. Based on those, I wish to conduct an optimization study in which,

1) Minimize(Drag coefficient)
2) new lift coefficient>=baseline lift coefficient
3) new area>=baseline area

Can somebody tell me how to impose the third one, that is the area of airfoil after optimization should not be less than that of baseline?
I have already checked the 'design conditions' tab in adjoint solver options. But I am not sure how to use them to get it done.
Thanks in advance.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rwoolhou posted this 10 June 2019

Looking at the tutorial is there way to set a criteria to be >=  a value? 

HHK1992 posted this 11 June 2019

Hello Sir,

Thank you for the response.

I could not find any options to do that. I think it could be done using the 'design conditions' tab in the options. Though I read about them in the user guide, I am still confused. 

Please let me know if you have some thoughts on this.

abenhadj posted this 11 June 2019

You cannot define an observable for that.

Best regards, Amine

abenhadj posted this 11 June 2019

In Mesh Morphing state or region conditions by using bounds or even scaling /letting Morpher find the best scale factor

Best regards, Amine

HHK1992 posted this 12 June 2019

Hello Sir,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I could not understand it clearly. I am aware that scaling and entity bounds tools in the 'Design tool' menu.

But how do I use it to get the area constraint working?

Could you please elaborate on that?

Thank you.

abenhadj posted this 12 June 2019

I cannot elaborate more on this as that was just an idea which I guess it might work. 

I will recommend that you use the constraint bounded by surface for your constraint. Just read the same mesh and select the surface to be the constraining wall.

Best regards, Amine

HHK1992 posted this 13 June 2019

Let me try it out. Will update here once I have progress.

Thank you for the suggestions. 

Close