Geometry limits

• 7K Views
  • Last Post 28 April 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
krzkopcz posted this 09 October 2017

Hello,

I have trouble with DesignModeler. I'm trying to import SpaceClaim geometry (attachment) into DesignModeler (better control with parameters in my opinion). Even though I have 24 solid bodies (i know that limit is >50) my geometry can't be imported and this error occures:

"You have exceeded the allowable geometry limits for ANSYS Academic. You cannot save or export. See Help for more information."

As far i tried to export geometry from SC and import it to DM as: x_t, x_b , step ,iges and the error is repeating....

I'am working on Ansys 18.2
Did anyone encounter a similar problem?
If so how to fix it?

Please help i need to finish project ASAP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
vganore posted this 10 October 2017

Hi, you have 24 bodies and 444 faces. Geometrical limit for DM is 50 bodies and 300 faces. So you have exceeded face limit.

Vishal Ganore, ansys.com/student

AnirudhMS posted this 28 February 2018

Vishal,

Is there an in-built option to count the number of bodies and faces in ANSYS-DM or Spaceclaim? 

Thanks! 

vganore posted this 28 February 2018

In DM, body and part details will give you this information.

Refer DesignModeler Documentation.

Vishal Ganore, ansys.com/student

• Liked by
  • AnirudhMS
cbhavsar posted this 06 March 2018

test123

Attached Files

yulu posted this 06 April 2018

Hi, you have 24 bodies and 444 faces. Geometrical limit for DM is 50 bodies and 300 faces. So you have exceeded face limit.

yulu posted this 06 April 2018

Hi I'm wondering how can i save the file which exceeds the limit? is this limitation only for student version?

Is that possible that we combine and insert several separate files into workbench?

ANY SUGGESTION?

Thank you in advance!

YULU

peteroznewman posted this 06 April 2018

The 50 body, 300 face limit is for the Student license only.  If you open the file on a Research or Commercial license, there is no limit.

If you have to work with the Student license, open the geometry in a CAD system and simplify it until it is under the limit.

diane.scoboria@gmail.com posted this 07 October 2018

I am new to Fluent and have a basic question. The ANSYS Academic limits students to 512k cells/nodes. But how can we upload something with 500k cells if we can only have 300 faces? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

peteroznewman posted this 07 October 2018

The 300 face limit is for geometry.  You can have a cylinder with 3 faces and fill that domain with 500k cells if you want.

Sirilucky123 posted this 13 February 2019

any suggestion for exceeding the geometry limits problems (it says you have exceed the allowable geometry limits you cannot save or export..)

plz help me..................................

peteroznewman posted this 13 February 2019

Simplify the geometry in another CAD system before you bring it into ANSYS Student license or get on the ANSYS Research license which has no limits.

Here is a free CAD system.

Doba posted this 28 April 2019

What do you mean when you say simply the geometry? Like combining faces in to a single one? Removing them altogether? I have access to other CAD softwares but I'm not sure how to proceed with the simplification

peteroznewman posted this 28 April 2019

Yes, delete faces that are unimportant to the simulation goal. Reply with some images and describe your simulation goal. Where are the supports, and loads applied, where do you expect the high stress to be if this is a structural model you want to do. 

You could also upload a zip file with your geometry in a neutral format like Parasolid or STEP and I can give you an idea.

Close