How apply link 34 element in workbench?

• Last Post 07 January 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
julionavarronorambuena posted this 02 November 2019

hi! i have a question, how i can apply link 34 element in ansys workbench? i have a beam element and i need do thermal analysis (convection and radiaton), in model it's a just line and cannot applied the condition of radiation and convection.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
peteroznewman posted this 02 November 2019

You can't do convection and radiation from a beam element meshed on a line body.

Go back to SpaceClaim or your own CAD system, draw a solid model of the beam by extruding the cross-section along the length, and bring that solid body into a Thermal model.

• Liked by
  • julionavarronorambuena
julionavarronorambuena posted this 02 November 2019

Thank you so much man, are you the best!! sorry but i have other question... my model is a telescope structure, and is so complex haha, exist a possibility of beams since spaceclaim convert in surface or solid bodies keep the cross section? adjunct a photo of the model, otherwise i don't know what i'll do.

peteroznewman posted this 02 November 2019

I am surprised to see 4 legs on the structure in front of the parabolic reflector.  I was only expecting to see 3 legs.

SpaceClaim is very efficient at converting solid bodies to beams, but there is no automation of the reverse process.

Yes, you have a lot of work to do.  Maybe you will have to do a sub-model, for example, just one leg of the tower.

• Liked by
  • julionavarronorambuena
julionavarronorambuena posted this 03 November 2019

Are you the best! thank you so much for your help, need somebody response these questions, and this radio- telescope is fantastic!. These model is a OVRO telescope of Caltech but i'm really work with a Mauna Kea radio-telescope  of Caltech (it's same model but the design of the legs is different) in a "Leighton Chajnantor telescope" project. 

I will work hard so.. haha thank you again for your help! if you want more information of the model or the project not hesitate contact me! julnavarro@udec.cl

Starman posted this 07 January 2020

I am not quite sure if there isn't ANY possible way to run 1D thermal analysis with Convecciontion/Radiation. ANSYS is extremely versatile, and it seems to me there should be some trick to bypass the obvious limitation of not having an explicit surface to interact with...weird as that might sound.
Having said that, I absolutely concur with Peter...brute force + submodelling + AXYSIMMETRY (particularly for the backing structure) might be the straightest path to go.

Close