I would like to get the shape/geometry of the result of a structural simulation I ran.
How do I get deformed geometry
- 1.1K Views
- Last Post 31 October 2017
There are two approaches to get the deformed geometry out of a Static Structural solution into a CAD program: a two step process and a fifteen step process. Thanks to SimuTech group for teaching me this method.
FOR VIEWING OUTSIDE FACES ONLY
In Mechanical: Insert a total displacement for a selected body into the solution, then right click on it and export an stl file.
In CAD: import the stl file. Some CAD systems don't handle imported stl files very well. New versions are getting better at that. See the next approach.
TO CREATE A SOLID BODY (more useful in CAD programs)
Here are the steps to export a Parasolid file:
- Create a Named Selection named "top" that contains the part you want to export.
- Analysis Settings set to Save APDL db
- Drop a Mechanical APDL component onto the Static Structural Solution
- Right click on Analysis row of Mechanical APDL system on project page and select "Add Input File"
- Select attached input file upgeom.inp (this is setup to select a single part in your model).
- Drop an FE Modeler component onto the Mechanical APDL Analysis
- Update the Static structural solution, Mechanical APDL Analysis, and FE modeler.
If the Static structural solution was done before step 1 above, clear generated data first.
Open FE Modeler
8. Right click on "Geometry Synthesis" and select "Insert>>Initial Geometry"
9. Right click on "Initial Geometry" and select "convert to parasolid"
10. Drop a DesignModeler (Geometry) Component onto FE modeler Model cell
11. Update FE modeler and DM
Start DM (double click on Geometry field)
- Add a Body Operation, "Type" set to Sew, setting the "Create Solids?" to Yes
If the result is not a single solid, change "Tolerance" to User Defined.
13. In DM open Tools>>Options then go to:
DesignModeler>>Geometry>>Export Options>>Parasolid Export Version and select 24.0 for NX8
14. Export Parasolid file.
15. In CAD system import Parasolid file.
This site won't allow a file with an inp extension to be attached, so below is the contents of upgeom.inp which is attached as upgeom.txt
Does AIM have a method to get the deformed geometry back to SpaceClaim?
- All Categories
- News & Announcements
- Student Products
- Pre and Post Processing
- Physics Simulation
- Tutorials, Articles and Textbooks
- Installation and Licensing
- Student Competition Teams