Need to help with dimension and changes- need to do diff. in SpaceClaim 19.2, but no. 2

• Topic Is Locked
  • Last Post 14 August 2019
Georgiro1 posted this 03 August 2019

So I need to change certain dimensions I again I have a huge problem to change the dimensions. Basically I do not know how to do it at all, but have the changing dimensions with a star of the dimension, but it does not want to change it at all. Have a look at the SpaceClaim model 19.2 attached. And basically need to change e. g. dimension of the hole outwards into middle hole, which should be  32.5 mm e. g. and there is only 31.14 mm.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
peteroznewman posted this 03 August 2019

I don't see any 31.14 mm dimension in the attached file, I see 27.2 mm

Georgiro1 posted this 04 August 2019

Sorry, this was wrong, so I will put there a new model, but again the same problem I had before and again...

Attached Files

So now it should be there! Thanks for have a look. And here you can also see some of the dimensions I need to implement into the model...

Attached Files

But e. g. here you can see that you can change with the start the length, but it is not possible and the most important would be to understand the program. what it want to do in this case or how to find the possibility to change the length! Thanks for your opinion.

peteroznewman posted this 04 August 2019

I moved the hole face to 32 mm using the Move tool, exactly the way I showed in the silent video.  Then I dimensioned it in on the Details tab.

You can see that the 31.14 dimension is to a sketch curve and not solid geometry.

Well done, I just do not understand the problem I have, you say it, but I do not understand it, but you are saying have a look at silent video? Where to have a look at it? Thanks

So what shall I understand to a sketch curve and not solid geometry? Thanks

Again a good fun. And the fact is that today it went well. So because you told me the details, but if you tell me something about what you have said like of sketch curve and not solid geometry, it will make me understand the problem. But thanks a lot. 

But obviously what is the most important to see is that I am not able to put there dimension - value. Strange problem, but the fact is that I am not able to change the plane from vertical to a different, that would be associated with the dimension plane!

So now there is a problem of changin the other hole to the distance of 31.2 mm and do not know again how to do this. Apart from the value that you see on the picture - it is a round, not the hole it has a small difference from 31.2 mm. So how this can be done. Thanks

peteroznewman posted this 04 August 2019

Silent video (added link above also).

What do you need at the end?  A solid model or a dimensioned drawing?

I don't dimension anything unless I need to make it variable geometry for parametric analysis.

You drew a circle and it had a radius of 31.14 mm At the time you drew that circle, a box popped up with that dimension. That was your chance to type in 31.2

If I accidentally lose the box with the dimension in it, I delete the curve and draw it again. I don't add a dimension to try to drive the dimension to a different value.

Start over and type in 31.2 when the box is offered. Don't go forward with the wrong dimension.

Georgiro1 posted this 05 August 2019

I did it as I need it so now it is fine so thanks for your help! My general problem is to be able to find if I see the stars to change the dimension that it is not basically be changed - you cannot change it normally, so the point is how to find out to be changing the dimension in general. This looks as the most problematic way! Thanks for your ideas!

So e. g. I want to change the dimension of 31,14 to 31,2 mm and I have the stars to change the dimension, but it does not accept it at all. So would would you suggest to understand this problem and it is the most complicated problem at all.

Thanks

peteroznewman posted this 05 August 2019

Some CAD systems keep a history of operations, so if you draw a sketch with a circle and radial line, then you make a hole in the solid at the intersection, the hole will move if you change the dimension of the circle.  SpaceClaim doesn't do that.

You need the circle and radial line to make the hole, but after you have made the hole, hide the line and circle (the Curves folder) if you need it later.

If you need a spark to move the hole, select the hole face (not the circle or point) and use the Move tool as shown in the silent video and when the box pops up to enter the dimension, click on the P and you will get a Group name with that dimension that can move the hole.

Ok, but how this can be related to the bigger distance of 31,14 mm to 31,2 mm? I have no idea. Thanks. 

Or you tell me just delete the hole completely and do it again in the distance of 31,2 and not 31,14?

Thanks

So above I need to change the dimension of 31, 14 to 31,2 and angle 55,2° to 55°. So shall I create a new hole with different angle 55° or something else? Thanks

Yes, delete the holes by selecting the four faces (chamfer and hole) and pressing the F key for Fill.

Delete the circle and lines.

Construct a circle at the correct diameter and two lines at 55 degrees.

Create a hole at each intersection point to a diameter of your specification.

Ok, I have deleted the hole, however I need to change the angle from 55,2° to 55°. But how to do it? I have again no idea how to do it! And as well as the length from 32,46 to 32,5 mm.

Delete all the lines and circles.  Start a Sketch, and under Options, check the Create Layout Curves checkbox. Draw a line that is 32.5 mm long at an angle of 55 degrees, then go back to the Select tool.

Start another sketch, but this time, without the Create Layout Curves option checked.  Draw a circle at the end of the line and type the diameter you need for the hole. Then go to 3D mode and use the Pull tool to make the hole.

Georgiro1 posted this 06 August 2019

So it is a bit silly, but how can I draw a line with 55° only? I have no idea. Thanks

peteroznewman posted this 06 August 2019

When you sketch a line, don't you get the length and angle showing?

This line is 55 degrees from the Z axis because I hit the tab key to get the box blue (like the length is currently) and I typed 55 then hit tab so I can type in a value for the length.

So how to set this up. I do not know how to do it!

Thanks

This was very useful for me, now I will know what is necessary...thanks, I have just the value of 55°.

And now I have a different problem and in this case it is not doing a hole for a tube, but an cylinder and do not know why, but the first time I did it fine, but now not possible. Do you know what can be the problem? Thanks

And now you can see these three holes, that one is white and the other two are a bit green as it can be seen and as well as I had to put the legth only of the depth of the material. And I had to create the depth of the hole on the basis of the length, otherwise it would not work at all. So I do not know what is this problem...

peteroznewman posted this 06 August 2019

Look at the Outline, do you see any Surface line items?  With the Select tool active, click the surface item in the outline and hit the delete key.

When you use the Pull tool, you can set to to Cut material in the options panel.

Georgiro1 posted this 07 August 2019

So I have been looking at the model, but I am not able to find the Surface line item? So I am adding here the model as well, so please have a look at this, I cannot see anything, but you will let me know what is the problem. Thanks The only difference is when I see the model, it is not so dark...And also there is another problem that there is another part, sou I would need to put it together as one part, so connect it to the main part...

Attached Files

peteroznewman posted this 07 August 2019

The Purple Icon with the three side of a cube are surfaces.

The Green Icon of a cube is a solid. You only have one solid, which is highlighted in orange.

If you sketch a set of curves that form a closed loop and click the pull tool, the curves will become a surface and you will pull that surface into a solid.

If you sketch a set of curves that do not form a closed loop and click the pull tool, you will pull surfaces from the curves and have no solid.

If you hide the solid, and go to the Repair tab, you can put in the missing faces to Solidify the surfaces you have.

Now you can use the Pull tool to pull the face that should be a hole through the part and make a hole. Note that you have to click Cut in the Options when you pull that face.

If you want to merge the original solid, make it visible again and use the Combine tool to Add one solid to the other.

Attached Files

Georgiro1 posted this 08 August 2019

So my question is how do I have to create the solid of the part of the object, because you make it somehow, but I do not know how? And you have made it on the 2nd and 3rd image and also I do not know how to put together the two solid as one? Thanks for details 

Attached Files

Show More Posts

Topic Is Locked

Close