Parallel meshing

• Last Post 08 January 2019
Andrea159357 posted this 03 January 2019

Hello, i'would like to know if parallel meshing is possible for CFD problem. I split my domain in 2 with spaceclaim, so i have 2 component, and share the topology so i can create conformal mesh, though ansys meshing is still using 1 core because it see just one part. Am i doing something wrong in spaceclaim or is possible meshing different parts just with non conformal mesh, so with contact pair?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
kkanade posted this 04 January 2019

use different component for each body. this will give you non conformal mesh. then you can use parallel meshing. 

if this helps you, please mark this post as 'is solution' to help others on forum.

Andrea159357 posted this 04 January 2019

I have already seen this video. So, you are telling that parallel meshing creates only non conformal meshes, right? there is no other way to usi it and have a conformal one?

rwoolhou posted this 04 January 2019

Currently if you're using Workbench Meshing and want a conformal mesh it's serial. Given the cell count limitations on the Student bundle this isn't a problem. 

Re full parallel meshing, the is found in recent releases of Fluent Meshing & (I think) ICEM CFD and the level of parallelisation depends on what you're doing. I'm currently using parallel Fluent Meshing in R19.2 

Andrea159357 posted this 07 January 2019

(Re full parallel meshing, the is found in recent releases)? What means?

I know Ansys Student is limited to 520000 elements. Just for fun i was wondering how to set parallel for conformal meshing. How is possible that you are using parallel for fluid? are you doing a non conformal mesh?

rwoolhou posted this 07 January 2019

Oops: typo should read   "this is found". I set the parallel through the Fluent launcher, it does some operations in parallel and is improving with each version. 

kkanade posted this 08 January 2019

yes, if you are using wb then you will need different parts for use of parallel meshing. 

for fluent meshing, you can use parallel meshing for prisms and tet. 

but as you are using student version, please go ahead with serial meshing. if you use parallel meshing you will not see much difference as you have limitation on cell count. 

if this helps you, please mark this post as 'is solution' to help others on forum.

Close