Problems with identifying the ultimate load of the beam

• Last Post 14 July 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
Joseph Lim posted this 12 June 2018

Dear all, 

I am trying to run an analysis of a simple supported reinforced concrete beam in Ansys Workbench 14.5. However, I was not able to identify the ultimate load of the beam. The load-displacement curves don't line up the way I would expect based on the results outcome. From the modelling results, the applied load is directly proportional to the deflection. Do you have an idea? Thank you very much in advance for your help and time. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Adisa posted this 13 June 2018

Hi,

Put your .wbpz file (File>Arhive), in the above attached file miss "Flexural Solid Beam_files".

• Liked by
  • Joseph Lim
peteroznewman posted this 13 June 2018

Adisa,

After I extracted the zip file contents, I found the .wbpj file inside the _files folder. I just moved it out of there and put it in a folder one level up where the _files folder was and I was able to open the project in Workbench.

Peter

• Liked by
  • Joseph Lim
Adisa posted this 13 June 2018

Yes Peter, you are right!!

• Liked by
  • Joseph Lim
Joseph Lim posted this 14 June 2018

Thank you Peter

peteroznewman posted this 14 June 2018

Lim Yong Tat,

Have you looked at using a SOLID65 element for your concrete?

There are several posts here about SOLID65 and concrete, which can support cracking and a subsequent loss of load carrying capability.

One

Two

Three

• Liked by
  • Joseph Lim

Adisa,

From my results, the applied load is directly proportional to the deflection, where I was not able to identify the load-displacement response, yield point and ultimate capacity. Any advice and suggestion on this problem (where I can get the curve load vs deflection graph)? Thank you very much in advance for your help and time.

Thank you, Peter,

You have been so much helpful.

Previously, I have looked at that matter (using the SOLID65 element for the concrete element). But I was not able to make it. From the solution information, I realised that my concrete was using the SOLID187. Any suggestion on how to change SOLID187 to the SOLID65 element? Thank you very much in advance for your help and time.

You have to put a Command item like this under each body that is concrete.

et,matid,solid65

MP,Ex,matid,1500

MP,Prxy,matid,0.2

MP,Dens,matid,2400e-9

TB,concr,matid

tbdata,1,0.3,1,0.304,4.278

Like this

• Liked by
  • Joseph Lim

Peter,

After I have changed the concrete to SOLID65 using the command item, one problem I encounter (when solving the model). Same problem I face previously when I am using the command item. It does not allow me to change the SOLID187 to SOLID65 element (as attached below).

Is this problem due to the beam geometry? Any recommended solution? Thank you very much in advance for your help and time.

Click on Geometry and in the Details window, change Element Control to Manual.

I hope that is the same in Version 14.5 and if not, search the Help system for how to do that.

• Liked by
  • Joseph Lim
Joseph Lim posted this 12 July 2018

Dear Peter,

May I know the commands below is under which concrete grade? Thank you in advance and very sorry for the inconvenience.

et,matid,solid65

MP,Ex,matid,1500

MP,Prxy,matid,0.2

MP,Dens,matid,2400e-9

TB,concr,matid

tbdata,1,0.3,1,0.304,4.278

Regards,

Joseph

peteroznewman posted this 13 July 2018

Dear Joseph,

I don't know about concrete grades. You will have to explain that.

The material properties above are Young's Modulus (Ex), Poisson Ratio (Prxy) and Density (Dens).  Look in the ANSYS Help for the CONCR material model what the numbers in the tbdata mean. 

Remember that Command snippets are in the units of the Project so you mustn't change the Project units after you use command snippets or you will get the wrong answer!

Regards,

Peter

• Liked by
  • Joseph Lim
Joseph Lim posted this 14 July 2018

Peter,

Thank you very much. You are the best teacher that helping me a lot. 

Regards,

Joseph

Close