Soil modeling

• Last Post 5 weeks ago
pankajbajaj522 posted this 23 May 2018

I am using APDL for soil modeling. I have used Solid 187 for piles and Solid 186 for soil. After defining all the material properties of soil using drucker prager criterion and pile properties, i have created contact element between pile and soil. After meshing, the side surfaces of soil are constrained in horizontal direction and the bottom portion is constrained in all directions and  then the load is applied. But while solving it the error i.e. The Value of UX at node 15681 is 15645009.5 is showing which is greater than the current limit of 1000000 i.e. it is an unconstrained model.  It is also shown in picture attached.

If anyone can help me with this problem please reply. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
peteroznewman posted this 23 May 2018

Attached file is not there yet.  You can also attach zip files if they are < 120 MB.  In your reply, say what version of ANSYS you are using: 18.2 or 19.0 or whatever.

pankajbajaj522 posted this 23 May 2018

I have attached the picture and i am using 15.0 version.Pic showing error

peteroznewman posted this 23 May 2018

Are they bonded contact elements between the piles and soil? If so, can you solve with a large number for Initial Substeps?

If they are frictional contact elements, are the elements initially closed?  If not, that could be what is wrong.

• Liked by
  • pankajbajaj522
pankajbajaj522 posted this 5 weeks ago

Thanx for the reply.

I have used frictional contact and for that the coeff. of friction is 0.3 between steel pile and soil. I have imported file in igs format made in autocadd. I am new to ANSYS can you please tell me how can i close the elements?  

Attached Files

peteroznewman posted this 5 weeks ago

First read the output.dat file to look at the contact status to see what it is at the start of the simulation. If it is initially closed, you don't have to change anything.  You can also issue the CNCHECK command inside APDL to check the initial contact status.

Second, change the Initial Substeps to 100 and see if it will solve (assuming the contacts are initially closed).

Read the online help for more information.

If you need help reading the output.dat file. Put it in a zip file and attach the zip file you your reply.

Close