Unable to start mechanical editor in Ansys 19.1 [SOLVED]

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
  • Topic Is Solved
markh posted this 17 April 2019

Hello Community,

I recently installed Ansys 19.1 on my personal computer primarily for FEA simulations using the static-structural toolbox. I run into an error when I try to open the model to mesh the part. After I import the geometry and click on model I get an error saying "unable to start the mechanical editor". I know anti-virus software has caused issues before, so I do not have that installed currently. I have read that possibly re-installing Ansys will fix it or going into the %AppData% folder and renaming v191 to "v191_old" will do the trick. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on the best way to fix this. Thanks.

I have attached a screenshot of the error I am getting.

Regards,

Mark

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Geo Karnos posted this 17 April 2019

Hello Mark,

You can try renaming the %APPDATA%\Ansys\v191 to v191.old and try to start it again.

Try checking the following:

Go To:

%TEMP%\WorkbenchLogs

Check the latest CoreEvents*.log and UIEvents*.log files.

They may give information as to why Mechanical will not start.

If you like, please post them here so we can check them.

Regards,

George

Hi George,

I tried renaming v191 to v191.old and got another error. This time it wrote a .dmp file that I cannot open. I took a screenshot of the Log files and it looks like it might have something to do with licensing? I'm a college student and I use a VPN to connect to my schools license servers, so I'm unsure if that's what it is. Do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Mark

jcallery posted this 17 April 2019

Hi Markh,

When connected to the school's vpn, please open a command prompt and type the following:

ping -4 %computername%

And post a screenshot of the result.

Thank you,

Jake

Hi Jake,

Here are the results from the command prompt line. 

Hi Markh,

This was when you were connected to the VPN correct?

If so, could you also post the result (while connected to the vpn) of:

ipconfig /all

Thank you,

Jake

Hi Jake,

Yes, that was when I am connected to the VPN. This is what ipconfig /all said:

Please open notepad as administrator.

Then edit the following file:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

At the bottom of that file add:

141.219.228.168 DESKTOP-OBITO7P 

(please I am not able to tell if the host name is correct on that line (with the O and or 0), so please adjust it to be your correct hostname)

Then retry the application.

Thank you,

Jake

Hi Jake,

I tried that and am unsure if it worked, however I talked with my schools IT and we found the cause of the error. I didn't install Ansys with administrative privileges, so workbench couldn't open up the mechanical editor library. By re-installing the software with administrative privileges it seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you for all your help and timely responses. I greatly appreciate it. 

-Mark 

Hi Mark,

That is great news.  Thanks for the update.

If you could, please mark this thread as solved.

Thank you,

Jake

Roxy posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi All,

I'm experiencing the same issue. I tried different things suggested in this thread and haven't been able to solve my issue completely yet. I hope someone would still respond to this thread.

I reinstalled it as admin, it didn't really fixed the issue. So I changed %APPDATA%\Ansys\v191 to v191.old as suggested. It worked. BUT, the next time I start something new I won't be able to start the Mechanical Editor again. The window will pop up but it would be "not responding" and I have to end task in task manager. When I look into the APPDATA folder, there will be a new v191 folder. If I changed the folder nameto v191.old, it works again. Also, when I try to open another project, it might or might not work depends on whether a new v191 folder was created... (Haven't quite figure out the condition to create v191 folder yet...)

Does it mean I have to manually changing the folder name every time I start something new if there's a v191 folder created? (Also, deleting the folder doesn't seem to work. It seem to only work when you rename it even if you have to merge with the v191.old already created previously...)

Is there a permanent way to fix this? Thank you!

Roxy

jcallery posted this 2 weeks ago

Hi Roxy,

I'm not sure why your app data is being corrupted.

Perhaps Antivirus is trying to access it as it is being altered by the ansys products.

I would suggest excluding the the %APPDATA%\Ansys directory from the Antivirus.

Or if your application is crashing it could corrupt the preferences stored in that directory.

The v191 directory is created automatically anytime workbench is started if it doesn't exist.

Hopefully that helps.

Thank you,

Jake

Close